Thursday, April 29, 2010

Vail, Colorado




It's been a long time since I've been able to post so I will just try to hit the highlights of the semester. The first highlight would definitely be Spring Break. I flew to Vail, Colorado for some incredible skiing with Meg, Jessica, and her mom. The weather was amazing, the skiing was amazing, and so was the company and everyone we met. Thankfully there wasn't any serious injuries just severe windburn and some bumps and bruises from practicing moguls for the first time. While we were there, Meg and I decided to challenge ourselves as much as possible, one time even on accident. One thing you need to understand first is that Vail is insanely huge. You can ski for weeks and go down a new slope everytime down the mountain. The bad part about this is how confusing it is to navigate around. One day Meg and I thought we were going down a blue but somehow managed to find ourselves facing a double black diamond with a sign that read "Caution: Extreme Terrain. Experts only." Once we skied down and read this sign it was far too late to turn around so we decided the only way out was down. You see this slope was not a normal run, it was a dropoff. From our point of view it looked like we were on top of a cliff with no way out. So I decided that I would ski as far left as I could so that I wouldn't fall off the cliff and Meg decided there WAS a way out so she went the opposite direction and I had no idea. As I concentrated on traversing accross the mountain (thinking Meg was behind me) I turned to look back and Meg was nowhere to be found. I yelled her name and no response. It was now me and the mountain and Meg wherever she was. I gained some convidence and decided to try to ski straight down and yes I then busted, lost a ski and somehow ate some snow. Once I got my skis situated I proceded down the rest of the mountain like a pro. When I found the bottom of the mountain I pulled out my phone to call Meg and with relief 2 seconds later spotted her up ahead (little did I know she just had an adventure of her own- almost making it to the bottom of the mountain until she flew off of an unexpected jump at the end and busted and then being landed on top of by a man). Although that may sound a little intense it was such an awesome trip! Hopefully I can go back sometime real soon (hint, hint Mom and Dad).

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud through this entire post! Ohh adventures of spring break :) you forgot to mention my love of nachos on this trip! haha

    ReplyDelete